Hi there! Belah here. Today, I have with me Luke Gilkerson of covenanteyes.com. First off, Luke talks about how he “fights the evils of pornography” every day for a living. He talks about how this massive industry has alarmingly invaded our homes and polluted the minds of our spouses, friends, and even our children. Luke also discusses about masturbation in children and whether or not this is an okay thing to happen. Listen in as he explains why masturbation happens and what our children are thinking when performing this act. Do they do it willfully or not? Is masturbation an act of immorality? He also shares some tips on how to react to the situation, how to manage your children so that they may be free from this act, and what the scripture says about masturbation.
- “I have the right to do anything,” you say–but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything”–but I will not be mastered by anything. 1 Corinthians 6:12
- “I have the right to do anything,” you say—but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything”—but I will not be mastered by anything. You say, “Food for the stomach and the stomach for food, and God will destroy them both.” The body, however, is not meant for sexual immorality but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body. By his power God raised the Lord from the dead, and he will raise us also. Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ himself? Shall I then take the members of Christ and unite them with a prostitute? Never! Do you not know that he who unites himself with a prostitute is one with her in body? For it is said, “The two will become one flesh.” But whoever is united with the Lord is one with him in spirit.
- Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body. Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies. 1 Corinthians 6:8-20
- The wife does not have authority over her own body but yields it to her husband. In the same way, the husband does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his wife. 1 Corinthians 7:4
- Alarming statistics of the scope of the pornography industry today
- Why sex education should not be something that is thought of as dirty, and why it should be taught early in a child’s developmental years
- How to effectively educate your children about their sexuality (what words and approach to use, and the like)
- How to distinguish between exploratory fondling and masturbation
- Tips on what to do when you realize your child has become curious of his sexuality
Books & Resources Mentioned:
- The Talk: 7 Lessons to Introduce Your Child to Biblical Sexuality by Luke Gilkerson
- Intoxicated on Life, Luke and his wife’s blog
- The Josh McDowell Ministry
- We should never think of sex education as something that is dirty and is limited only to adolescence.
- Kids are naturally curious.
- Parents need to enjoy each other in the home, and kids need to know that their parents are in love with each other.
- Tell your kids: They are private areas of your body, they should not be made public, so you shouldn’t be drawing attention to them by how you touch them; you shouldn’t be exposing them.
- God owns our body; our future spouse has authority over our body.
- It is good for us to get into a mindset of not treating our bodies as if we own them because it’s not truly ours.
Thanks for listening! I hope you are encouraged to live in wholehearted intimacy!
Episodes come out Tuesday & Thursday mornings. But, in case you forget…I love to subscribe with my phone so I never miss an episode. You can too:
|iPhone: Podcast App is on updated iPhones. Open DYM & subscribe!||Android: Download Podbay.fm App. Open DYM & subscribe!|
If you enjoyed this episode, would you add your review to iTunes (via your phone or computer)? It will encourage me & it will help others find the podcast easier. Find out how at delightyourmarriage.com/itunes Thank you!